It is learnt that at that time the Army personnel, reaching the village of Basonta Para Lichu Bagan area, ordered the villagers to gather at a place. Whenever the villagers gathered at a place as per the order of the Army, the Army began asking about a person named Kalpati Chakma alleging him as a terrorist. The villagers became feared at such behavior of the Army and tried to tell the Army that there was no person named `Kalpati’ rather than a person named `Kalobadhi Chakma’. Nevertheless, the Army personnel began beating the villagers indiscriminately one after another, where at least 10 persons among the villagers were wounded.
Later, the Army personnel went to and ransacked the house of Kalobadhi Chakma. Kalobadhi Chakma was not house at that time.
The 9 out of10 wounded villagers were as follows:
(1) Laxmi Kumar Chakma (27), son of late Fuleswar Chakma, village- Indra Moni Para;
(2) Mr. Ananda Chakma (36), son of late Pattar Chandra Chakma, village- do;
(3) Mr. Shanti Bikash Chakma (28), son of late Subal Chandra Chakma, village- do;
(4) Mr. Kanak Baran Chakma (25), son of For a Chakma, village- do;
(5) Mr. Surjya Chakma (28), son of late Pagla Chakma, village- do;
(6) Mr. Robi Chandra Chakma (36), son of late Monu Ram Chakma, village- do;
(7) Mr. Bana Kumar Chakma (30), son of late Pattar Muni Chakma, village- Jarul Chari;
(8) Mr. Satya Jyoti Chakma (36), son of Batya Chakma, village- Changra Chari;
(9) Mr. Anil Chakma (30), son of Dafadar Chakma, village- Kandya Mukh Para.
It is worth mentioning that de facto military rule named “Operation Dabanal” (Operation Wild-fire), which was imposed on the CHT during the period of insurgency, was replaced with “Operation Uttoran (Operation Upliftment) on 1 September 2001 in the post-Accord period. Military interference with and dominance over the civil administration, law and order, construction and repairing of roads, tribal affairs, forest resources etc. are still continuing on one hand, and on the other, the military search operations, harassment, threat and intimidation and repression in CHT are also continuing due to prevailing ‘Operation Uttoron’.
(Parbatya Chattagram Jana Samhati Samiti)
Kalyanpur, Rangamati-4500, Chittagong Hill Tracts, Bangladesh
E-mail: email@example.com, firstname.lastname@example.org
Website: pcjss-cht.org, ipdpcjss.wordpress.com