United Nations Headquarters, New York
May 16-27, 2011
Agenda Item: 7 – Future work of the Permanent Forum, including issues of the Economic and Social Council and emerging issues: Special Rapporteur’s study on the status of implementation of the Chittagong Hill Tracts Accord of 1997
Statement by the Saami Council
- Urge the Government of Bangladesh to declare a timeline and modality to fully implement the 1997 Chittagong Hill Tracts Accord, which they have signed.
- Urge the Government of Bangladesh to immediately take appropriate steps to make the necessary amendments to the Land Dispute Settlement Resolution Act 2001, in line with the 1997 CHT Accord, to solve the land related problems of the indigenous Peoples of the Chittagong Hill Tracts.
- Urge the Government of Bangladesh to ensure that all institutions being set up under the 1997 CHT Accord, including Land Commission, have full representation of Indigenous People at the highest decision-making level. In addition, decision-making powers in these institutions should be in the hands of civilians at all times.
- Urge the Special Parliamentary Committee for Constitutional Amendment to recommend that the indigenous people should be recognized in the Constitution as ‘indigenous people’ in line with the ILO 107 ratified by Bangladesh and ILO Convention 169.
- Urge the Government of Bangladesh to allow teaching in the Indigenous People’s mother tongue at primary level.
Statement from Saami Council on Special Rapporteur’s study on the status of implementation of the Chittagon...